Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Happy Farmer's Wife reflects


Since the Happy Farmer has made one or two vague references to my bird watching, I think it is time for me to make a guest appearance in his blog, to provide a few ornithological details for those who may be interested. (Given the subject-matter, should I perhaps be Twittering or Tweeting ? but I have no idea what that entails.)

Yes ! I have made definite advances from my original state of almost-total lack of knowledge about birds. This is all thanks to the Happy F, who has hung two feeders outside my window, thus providing me with a close-up view of the patrons from dawn to dusk. We hoped that the second feeder would attract Cardinals, but they prefer to stay on the ground (and are an infrequent, but always exciting, sight) Other large birds who pick up seeds spilt on the ground, are Blue Jays and Mourning Doves; but there are some birds of equal size, Grackles and Red-Winged Blackbirds, who seem to have no difficulty balancing on the rather skimpy perches. When they are around, the smaller birds stay away. I don’t like the R-W blackbird’s personality, but his appearance is interesting: in mid-March when he first arrived (a month or so ahead of the female), the red stripe on his wing was barely visible. ‘Red-winged’ is really a misnomer, as his wings are all black except for a double stripe of red and yellow. These colours are now vivid, and he has become sleeker and glossier to greet the spring (or to greet his returning mate?). He is indeed handsome, but the Rose-breasted Grosbeak is the handsomest of all. I only recently identified the female R-B Grosbeak. She is not in the least rose-breasted, in fact quite different from the male; a pretty bird nonetheless, with brown streaks like a sparrow but bigger and plumper.

And while we are discussing good looks, I must mention my favourite, the Downy Woodpecker, who does not visit frequently, (too busy elsewhere I suppose,) but is a joy to behold, with his exquisite patterning of black and white.
Now for the smaller birds: most numerous and faithful in all weathers, Black-capped Chickadees who are like hyperactive children, continually hopping from one perch to another; the Nuthatch, almost always upside down; various sparrows, whom I have not yet sorted out except for the rusty-capped Chipping Sparrow; and Goldfinches both male ( now very bright yellow) and female (olive-coloured) who often come to my feeders, I don’t know why, as they have a special feeder (filled with niger-seed) outside the dining-room window.

There are no doubt other species I have failed to note, through “ignorance, pure ignorance” as Dr. Johnson would say. The bird books aren’t always as helpful as one could wish. I am definitely deterred by pages of ‘Confusing Warblers’ (because if those warblers are confusing to the experts who wrote the book, what hope is there for me?)
Never mind, it is a pleasure just being an amateur. I’m only sorry I (unlike the Happy Farmer) cannot back up my observations with photography.

Happy Farmer’s Wife


P.S. Between writing and posting a third feeder- this for the Hummingbirds has been added. I will encourage G. to follow this posting up with further sightings and remarks.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

How wonderful to have a guest blogger! We have a downy woodpecker too, but not at our feeder, only pecking at the hydro pole. Jim Frayling posted a very positive review of a book called "Birdwatching watching" on his facebook page - I don't think it's available here yet, but looks interesting (about a son trying to understand his father's passion for birdwatching). Hope the farmer's wife becomes a regular contributor!